Sunday, April 25, 2010

Exeter Country Club

The view from the first tee
Date: April 25, 2010
Tee Time: 10:00 am
Course: Exeter Country Club
Holes 9
Par:35
Location: Exeter, NH
Playing Partners: None - Playing as a Single




It is not often that I feel as welcomed to a course as I did this past Saturday playing Exeter Country Club.  It started off with a call to the club house at 9:00 am to ask if they'd be able to take a single. "Sure!" was the answer, "Come on out we will find a way to fit you in.".  To hear that at anytime always makes me happy but to hear it at 9:00 am on a Saturday is practically a miracle.


My second surprise came on the second tee.  To begin my round I had two ladies playing in front of me.  I waited on the tee until I could no longer see them on the first hole ( Par 4 370 yds) before teeing off.  I slowly made my way to my ball and discovered that the green was completely blind to me.  Since the course had an aiming spot hoisted in one of the trees I was not too concerned with where the pin was as long as I was hitting towards the green.  So, I hit without walking up to see the green.  I hit a great 8 iron over the hill and it sailed right at the aiming marker in the tree.  Walking up the hill I was feeling pretty good about my self.  that was until I heard the bell.  You golfers out there will know what it means to hear a bell on a golf hole.  it means it's OK to hit your next shot because the group in front of you is out of the way.  Sure enough there was my ball in the center of the green and the two ladies walking over to the next tee.  "Oh boy," I said to myself, "this could get ugly."  I two putted for my par, thank you very much, and made my way over to the tee at 2 where they waited.


Here is where the surprise came, not only were they not upset but they asked me to join them instead of asking if I wanted to play through.  More often then not when I catch up to  group when playing as a single they want me gone and out of the way so they can get back to playing their own game, but these ladies very nicely asked if I would care to join them.  I accepted of course but not without apologizing up and down for obviously hitting into them while they were on the green.  


Diane and Julie were there names, members of the Exeter Country Club.  They were shocked to hear that it was my first time at Exeter and welcomed me whole heatedly.  They began by telling me about how happy they are being members, the intricacies of the course and how the Course Superintendent was so meticulous (Which was evident on every hole).  At one point they said to me "Sorry you have to play with a couple of women." to which I explained "Not a problem at all, one of my favorite playing partners is my Grand Mother, she is the one who taught me to play golf."  It was their turn to be surprised.  They proceeded to give me hints on how holes are laid out and how most people play them.  This became quite helpful on a couple of holes.   The secret they said, is to stay left on all the holes.  If there is trouble it will be on your right,  good advice I found.


Looking back at the 3rd Green overlooking the marsh
My play for the day was actually quite a relief.  I still had a few miss hits but overall I was pretty consistent in my swing and my score showed it.  Around the greens I feel I performed above my norm.  I have always been a pretty good chipper but I was putting almost everything to within a few feet of the pin making for an easy putt.  I hope this is a good indication of low rounds to come.  


Overall the course was in good condition, the people were friendly, the club house was neat and had plenty of merchandise if you needed supplies before your round.  Although I did not stop to eat after finishing up my 9 holes the 19th hole "The Grill on the Hill" looked very inviting.  I would not say this is the hardest course on the seacoast but it certainly offered some good shot making opportunities and many places where club selection was not as easy as reading the yardage.  


So, to Diane and Julie thank you for a most enjoyable round.  Thank you for the encouragement to become a member and join the Men's league at Exeter.  If all the members of your club are as welcoming as you two I might just do that.


Score: 43 (Getting better)


Until the next round,


Cheers To All!





No comments:

Post a Comment