Thursday, January 14, 2010

Where has single golf gone?


I am finding that it has become harder and harder to be a, "walk on single." I feel like I used to be able to walk into most any club and get right out on the course playing in any open slots.  Nowadays, when you walk into a club house without a full foursome in tow you often get treated as the bottom of the barrel, and more often than not told there aren't any openings today.  Does one have to have friends in-tow in order to play golf?  I know I am not the only one who likes to play "walk on golf." Besides not having to find three other people on the same schedule as yourself (which usually is damn-near impossible), you often get to play with very interesting people.  Some courses will let you call ahead and set up a tee time for just a single, but I am seeing more and more courses switching to the ‘no tee times for singles’ policy.  I often hear, "oh yeah, just come on over and we'll try to get you out," then when you do as they suggest, you get the ugly look from the starter and an invitation to hang out on the putting green for an hour (which in my case may not be a bad thing).  I am probably being too hard on the courses.  I should be understanding that they are busy and need to cater to the people that thanks to modern technology are making tee times a week in advance.  I guess I am just selfish and think some things shouldn't change.  Or, maybe I just need to make more friends (prerequisite they have the same schedule of course). :P


So, I say to all golf course owners out there, "be nice to the single walk-on golfer," and understand that, "no, I don't mind waiting for a tee time, and yes, I would love to join up with another group."

No comments:

Post a Comment