Thursday, March 4, 2010

The First Par

I remember clearly the first time I achieved a par on a hole.  I was twelve, playing with Golf Grammie at Mingo Springs in Rangeley, Maine.  It was the 16th hole I think, a par four.  I managed to get to the green in three leaving myself a five-or-six footer for the par.  As I was getting ready to putt, a friend of the family came flying over in a golf cart to say hi to Golf Grammie.  He was playing in a scramble, which at the time I thought was just playing golf as fast as you could in a golf cart.  They chit-chatted just off the green as I stood there, agonizing over the putt that I very badly wanted to make.  I decided to just go for it and not wait for the man to go away.  Once the others saw that I was getting ready to make the putt, they became silent and began to watch.  I remember Golf Grammie whispering to the man that this putt would be for my first par.  I was shaking over the ball, made worse by the fact that I had an audience.  The putt itself was not easy, up-hill with a big bend to the left.  I took a couple big deep breaths and put a solid stroke to the ball.  Up the hill it slowly crept, curving just as I had pictured in my head.  As if in slow motion it fell into the hole with a gratifying clickty-click.  I let out the breath I had been holding, giving my first great fist-pump of triumph.  Golf Grammie and her friend gave me nice "golf clap" applause.  

No par since has been so gratifying.


Cheers to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment